[TenTec] Omni 6+ phones jack

Dale L Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:41:01 -0500

> Read your response re the Omni manual. I think you missed the point.

No.  I didn't miss the point.  I ignored it because I only wanted to comment
on the Wiring Diagram and suggest that maybe a call to Ten-Tec might bear
some fruit.  But, since you bring it up again....

Like I said, I don't want or need a "Chilton's-type" manual. I've been an
electronics technician for most of my life.  If there's anything I hate it's
troubleshooting and repair.  I love to build--heck, my old project engineers
tell me stuff I built years ago is still being flown on the shuttle--way
cool!--but, I hate the bejesus out of trying to find a problem.  When I have
a problem with my radios, car, television, etc., I take it to or send it to
the pros who like to troubleshoot and repair.  While they do that, I'll be
out at the pool, on my bicycle, backpacking in the Chisos, working at the
Zoo, or operating the other Omni VI.  Life's too short for troubleshooting.
hey! I just made that up! :-)

The
> point is that the manual is deficient and not on a par with the quality
> of the rig nor is it on a par with the quality of practically every other
> manual I have examined from other manufacturers.

I didn't buy a manual that had a radio come with it.  I bought a radio with
a manual.  That the manual may or may not meet everyone's spec's for
'manual' is inconsequential.  If it meets my criteria and needs, great.

As to comparing them to other manuals, how about the king (my opinion) of
radios for many, many years: Kenwood TS-930S.  I had one.  I had the manual
(thinner than the Omni VI manual).  I had the service manual.  When a board
developed a problem, the manuals were both useless.  So was any telephone
support from Kenwood.  $400, a round-trip to/from CA and a month later it
was back on the desk being a great radio.

I also had a TS-130S.  Again, the manual was fine...for me.  If anything had
happened that might cause me to have to delve into the innards of that
radio, the manual again would have been useless.

As good as both those radios were/are, their manuals were as, if not more
so, deficient as Ten-Tec's.  Heck, there was little in the way of indepth
discussion on board contents and functions, much less any troubleshooting
hints.

I have learned more about radios by reading and studying the discrete
circuit board descriptions in Ten-Tec manuals.  While the manual may be
deficient in some respects, it still fills my needs and provides me with the
information I want/need.  When it doesn't, "Hello, Ten-Tec!"

> The fact that most TenTec owners are technically savvy to the point where
> digging into their rigs presents no particular or serious problem does
> not mitigate the situation.
>

> Granted one can call TenTec service but why should we have to.

Because they have likely experienced the same problem before and can zero in
on the fix quickly, saving you money and time?

> I, for
> one, do want somebody to hold my hand and lead me through a repair
> procedure. All of the pertinent information required to diagnose/fix the
> rig should be contained in the manual. That is the whole purpose of the
> manual.

I think anyone would have a hard time finding a manual that provided 'all
the pertinent information required to diagnose/fix the rig' for every
possible problem that could develop.  The only thing that could be
guaranteed having the manufacturer provide such a manual would be an
increase in the cost of the product that manual supports.

73,
dale, kg5u