[TenTec] Omni V and Timewave 59+ Hookup ?

W7CW Jay Ostrem wc7m@vcn.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:36:56 +0100

Hi Mike, I use the 599+.  I quit using the mute line, and never really
missed it.  The only side effect is on CW, where the audio delay throught
the unit screws up your keying. (Delayed sidetone).  The delay is not a
problem until 35wpm for me, but you eventually compensate for it.
I discovered this quite by accident when I forgot to hook up the line after
FD one year.  I thought I had "dain bramage" until I figured it out, but by
that time I was compensating for it.  Another side effect is that the
sidetone is now changing depending on your setting of the unit.  I find
this a plus, as it helps your to set the controls properly (center freq, etc.)
I'm  a fan of the 599+.  I've owned a few DSP's, and this was the only one
that beat the built in DSP of my 6+.  I've used it on my Paragon and Omni
V, and have been happy.  I refer to my Omni V with the 599+ as a "Poor Boy
6+"  It works.

A close friend had both the 59+ and the 599+,  he found he was using the
59+ more often than the other.  Close comparison put the 599+ on top, but
the 59+ was more convenient to use.

Your mileage may vary,    Jay W7CW