[TenTec] I'm getting reports of RF in my Pegasus ssb audio.

Carl Hyde cshyde@yahoo.com
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

One of the best tools I have used to chase down RFI problems (besides burning
your lip on a microphone putting out a hundred watts) is the el-cheapo Radio
Shack SWR/field strength meter. In the field strength mode you can sniff around
cables and radios for RF presence. There is no substitute for a good RF ground.
I have one of the Ten Tec RF counterpoise kits that I used in a second floor
apartment a few years ago and it made a tremendous difference in keeping the
RFI at bay. The arrangement of the Pegasus with the computer, monitor and radio
is critical. You may have to try different locations and some snap-on torroids
on the connecting cables. Last night I looked back at the reflector archives
since the debut of the pegasus, I found that most of these problems are monitor
and switching power supply noise being coupled into the Pegasus. Some monitors
seem to put out more noise than others and some owners have had to replace
noisy monitors. Other owners re-arranged their computer and monitors in
relation to the radio to cure the problem.

=====
Carl H.
Remember, the opposite of PROGRESS is CONGRESS