[TenTec] Re: Titan II

Roy Koeppe royanjoy@ncn.net
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:40:17 -0500

About,

"Hello,

I'm considering the purchase of a Titan II.

I would appreciate any comments from owners on its reliability,
operation,
etc.

Thank you,

John K0OI"

Hi John,

I've owned my Titan II five months now. Following are a few
observations:

1. A very loud blower. (I cured this with a remote blower mod.).
2. My blower causes strong vibration of the whole operating table. (I
cured this with a remote blower mod.).
3. The keyed relays are loud in CW. (I cured this by using headphones
with big surround cushions--I have
     never used the amp. on SSB as yet).
4. QSK is excellent even over 40 WPM; no shortening of dots.
5. The meter lamps are incredibly difficult to replace. One of mine has
already burned out. (I cured this with an
     outboard meter lamps fixture mod.,  mounted externally at the lower
edge of the meters, using common bayonet
      lamps.).
6. Like most other ham amps., the Titan II experiences "power drift" on
80M and 160M during longer
     transmissions in CW mode. This is caused by use of ceramic caps.
used to 'pad' the tank's variable tuning
     and loading caps. An economy measure. (I cured this by replacing
the padder caps. with high quality
     caps.).
7. On 17M, the plate tank loaded Q seems to be very high, causing
heating of the tank inductors. You can
     smell and feel heat coming from the tank compartment on 17M during
longer transmissions in CW mode.
      (I cured this by placing an exhaust fan over the tank compartment
vents when using 17M).

I think details of some of these mods are listed on the Ten-Tec
Unofficial Web Pages. E-mail me if you have more questions.

73,     Roy,      K6XK         Iowa     Outback