[TenTec] Jupiter frequency jump?

j justo@maplenet.net
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 23:31:51 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Meahan" <wmeahan@wa8tzg.org>

> Depends on volume, profit margins and how much TT makes in the other
> divisions.
>
> I used to work for a major automotive company where folks would sell
> their grandmother for a fraction of a cent savings on a screw. Looked at
> in isolation, that appears pretty silly. However, when you use 40-50
> million of those screws a year, that "fraction of a cent" adds up pretty
> quickly. ................

bill,

thanks for your explanation and although i now can better understand "why" a
company cheapens their product, i still don't agree w/it.  that is, i agree
w/your explanation, however it's the company's policy that i don't agree
with.

for instance, the above assumes that we, the customers, expect the company
to foot the bill for improving the quality of their product.  thus, when a
company makes "x" amount of units/year, the costs to the company do add up.
however, if the company charges the consumer for this added quality, even if
the added charge = the company's cost (assuming that the cost isn't too
high/unit), it would pay a much higher return in customer satisfaction which
affects repeat sales/name recognition/etc...

for example, let's use tentec and their peg/jupiter.  how many of you owners
feel that tentec's selling price for these units approaches the "too
expensive" mark, such that if they charged any more you probably wouldn't
have bought them?  from what i've been hearing, it sounds like most feel
that the current prices for these units are "very" reasonable and if tentec
had charged more, you probably would've still bought them.  now, let's say
that tentec takes the position that they want to improve these units, but
profit margins are too slim based on the current selling prices.  would any
of you current (or prospective) owners shy away from buying either of these
units if tentec raised the prices a couple of bucks (or even a $100) in
order to cover their costs of  providing better rf shielding?

my point being, then is, that tentec could raise their prices for these
units to cover their costs for adding proper rf shielding and we, the
customers, would eagerly buy them even at the higher price.  as a benefit,
customers would be happier w/their units (ie, no one would be concerned
about the rf problem) and tentec would gain an even better reputation than
the fantastic one that they already have.  seems like it would be a win-win
situation to me.