[TenTec] Paragon 2 Transmitting Problem

Edward A. Feustel efeustel@ists.dartmouth.edu
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:09:14 -0500

I have a new 962 power supply attached to my recently purchased Paragon
2. I am trying to transmit on CW into a Heathkit Dummy Load.
If I reduce the Power Output to low levels, e.g.,
5 watts on the forward scale, all is ok. The ALC light on the front
panel comes on.

As I increase the power to 15-20 watts, I seem to get an oscillation
effect. The higher the power, the more frequent the oscillation. A
clicking noise from the Paragon can be heard, and the ALC light goes on
and off in synchrony with the clicking.

Also, the power output seems to go up "erratically" with the position
of the RF output pot, unlike the way my TS-930 reacted.

Reception seems to be ok.

Any clues?

Thanks.
Ed, N5EI