[TenTec] New TT QRP Rig

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer geraldj@isunet.net
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:24:34 -0600

Of course, YES it was Hallicrafters. Guess I need to heed a new sign at
this computer saying, "Be sure brain is in gear before typing..."

I had one of the good FPM-300. There were many that had bad circuit
board grounding problems. The main problem was that the ground was
mostly on the component side, the board was of 2 ounce copper, and
depended on plated through holes for many grounds with nothing but a pad
on the solder side of the board. The plating was not good and the heavy
copper prevented solder from wicking through the holes to make the
ground connection under the components. Then the cogged belt was an
uncommon pitch.

I only saw pictures of the FPM-2000. Some with poorer (less elephantine)
memories confuse the 2000 and the 300. The radios were at least a decade
apart and the 2000 was at least ten times higher priced than the 300.

73, Jerry, K0CQ
--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson. Reproduction by
permission only.