[TenTec] Filter difference

Ed Tanton n4xy@arrl.net
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:06:02 -0500

Duane is quite right about filter differences. While I don't have an
RX-340 to play with, my Drake R-7 rcvr has the extra 1.8 kHz filter, and
the difference that makes over the standard 2.3 kHz filter is frequently
amazing-and its xtal filter networks do not begin to compare to the
brick walls DSP provides. It doesn't SEEM like it should be a big deal,
but-as I said-it surely can be. I DO have an NIR-12, for external audio
DSP processing, and the brick wall is apparent there... but not nearly
as neat as it would be at an IF stage! Not to even mention being able to
take the passband OUT to 8kHz or more for Shortwave Listening.

73  Ed Tanton  N4XY  <n4xy@arrl.net>

Ed Tanton  N4XY
189 Pioneer Trail
Marietta, GA  30068-3466