[TenTec] Re: Reliable Voice/CW Keyer for Omni VI+

Nat Davis ndavis@vt.edu
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:24:17 -0500

>From: Frank W8HO <W8HO@qsl.net>
>Subject: [TenTec] Reliable Voice/CW Keyer for Omni VI+
>
>Hello to all and Happy Holidays!
>
>As I look forward to the remaining contest season I am faced with a
>dilemma--Which voice keyer or better yet a combination voice/cw keyer will

Frank,

The replies so far seem to have gotten off-track and onto a Heil mic
bent....  Your question was on voice/cw  keyers!

I have used the Writelog contest logging program for several years and have
been extremely pleased with its CW/RTTY/VOICE keying ability.  It uses the
computer sound card to do the voice and RTTY signal generation.  I connect
the sound card in/outputs to the audio in/out phono plugs on the back of my
Omni 6+ via 1:1 transformers (for isolation, circuit using Radio Shack
parts is given on the Writelog web site, www.writelog.com).  No problems
with RF or ground loops.  Works like a champ!  SSB messages can be recorded
"on the fly" for playback.  You can also record parts of messages (in
separate files) that can be "stuck together" for the playback under
Writelog's control.  If you get really ambitious, you can record your voice
pronouncing each letter in the alphabet and each number (each into its own
computer file).  Writelog can then go back and use these recordings to
phonetically "sound out" a call to provide almost a fully computer
generated QSO exchange in a contest.  Really saves on the voice after a few
hours into a 'test.

Given how well Writelog has worked for me, I have had no need to buy any
other voice keyer.

Hope this helps.

Nat Davis
N4EL