[TenTec] New Radio and the XYL (LONG)

Mike & Lara Pagel pagel@wi-net.com
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:39:20 -0600

Greetings!

This evening's discussion on new radios and spouse approval reminded me of a
similar thread that took place last year (June 2000) on one of the
Boatanchor forums.  There were some excellent suggestions offered for those
seeking spouse consent to the purchase of additional rigs.  Some serious,
some tongue in cheek, but all offering useful insights for those wrestling
with this issue.

That thread is provided, below, as a service to the members of this
reflector.  Thanks to one of the posters to the thread, we can even honor
the TenTec topic requirement.

73, de Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI
TenTec (and Hallicrafters)

***********
Hi All,

Not to get off subject here, just a survey-type question.

Ever have this conversation???	   S = Spouse 		B = Boatanchor collector

S: "What is all of this junk/crap/stuff down here???

B: " What do you mean? This is all GOOD stuff!!!"

S: "Oh please, this is getting ridiculous!! This junk is taking up room and
let's not even talk about how much you have spent on it!"

B: "But it is great stuff!! It works better than the new junk being
produced, sounds better and keeps the room warm on cold nights!!"

S: "I can't even get through here with the wash to go outside and hang it
up!!!  I swear, if one more of these THINGS shows up, I will scream....."

B: (knowing that there are 2 more on the way and now scrambling on figuring
out where to hide them).. " Yes dear....."

I don't know about you, but I have taken to hiding them out in the
garage..(no-mans-land)

rgds,
Mark S.
*

Mark:
How did you gain access to my home, and where was the tape recorder?

Alan
W1HYV
**

Your problem is obvious - you don't have enough stuff. When you get to the
point where I am, you can bring in another piece and she never notices the
addition...

- David -

**
Yep word for word !

You forgot "What an I going to do with all this sh*t when you get
electrocuted"

Like in the other post, "you need more stuff"

Tell her "Do not worry I will be cleaning up to make room for the
helicopter".

or, "I will have enough stuff when you come home and a see the helicopter on
the roof"

**

The solution is obvious. Buy her a dryer.

**

Better yet, buy her a boatanchor!

MR

**

My solution is.....put your shack IN the Laundry Room, and do the Laundry
yourself....and that gives you more Shack/Boatanchor Time, and No
Complaints....73 es Keep' em Glowing!

Mike, KE9EX

**

I built a 3 story "barn" in which to store my toys. Once every year or so I
make a token sale of something I never should have purchased in the first
place and give her the money as rent.

As stated earlier, the secret is having so many boatanchors that one more
cannot be detected.

It also helps if every year or so you can find just the right part to fix
something of hers. Then, you can honestly state that you need all of this
stuff to be able to fix her things. I found just the right ball bearing race
10 years ago to fix her vacuum cleaner on a weekend and still milk that for
all I can.

Remember all of the positive things that happen because of your large
collection of junk. Since they are infrequent, write them down and review
them occasionally. Women are able to remember those things you do not do
well for decades.

Talk her into getting a codeless tech ham license. Then you can justify
those boatanchors to help you talk to her. Then buy her a handheld with all
the bells and whistles that she hates. Finally, get her a simple single
channel rig for $25 and you have just acquired a $500 handheld for yourself.
And you can put a mobile rig in every car just for her to be able to find
you.

As much as you hate television set repair, let your wife think that all your
equipment is necessary to maintain her television. When it breaks, take it
out to your shop and tell her you are going to work on it. After she is
asleep, load it into the car and take it down to the television shop. When
it is fixed, sneak it back to your shop and proudly carry it from your shop
to television room and install it. Pay for the television out of your slush
fund. Then, write this achievement down on the list mentioned earlier.

Once a year try to buy something that is simply a good buy for the purpose
of selling on e-Bay. Then sell it for a profit. Make sure your wife knows
and give her the profit (be sure to deduct the cost). Write this down on
your list. Remember, everything is an investment for the big estate sale.

Remind your spouse that your buddies spend their money on mistresses and
golf. Your boatanchor collection does not allow you the time nor money for
either of those vices and you are determined to stay happily married because
you do not have the time, energy or inclination to haul all of the
boatanchors away - and that the only way they will leave is at an estate
sale.

Once every few years, use your ham radio to arrange a vacation at some
remote part of the world.  Leave the ham gear home and have a romantic
vacation. When you get back, put that on your list.  It is better if you use
a boatanchor to arrange the vacation.

As a result of the above practice, I can receive 3 or 4 boxes of boatanchors
on the same day with not more than a "more stuff for you came today" or
"don't you already have enough stuff?" Give your wife a kiss, tell her you
love her, and recite the list you have now memorized.

Colin k7FM

**

This should be Chapter 10 in the BA Primer. Perfect!

John WB0RLD

**

This conversation never happened. Women are supposed to be submissive to
men.  Says so in the bible. Boat anchors are good for you. Therefore, boat
anchors are good for your family. You need an attitude adjustment! Long live
your filaments.

Steve
k2pts

**

My spouse keeps asking when I am going to bring the boatanchor (SX-110)
downstairs and hook it up to the stereo system so she can listen to
shortwave during the day....

Scott W4PA

**

Sounds like a good excuse to buy another one!

MR

**

I usually hear:
"you bastard!! the kids need shoes!"

**

I guess I'm lucky with regards to my wife's tolerance of my ham radio
addiction. As long as I keep the gear either in my hamshack or neatly stored
in the garage, and keep it out of the rest of the house, she says nothing
about it at all.  Those limitations also keep me from accumulating too much
gear at any given time (which, as you know, is WAY too easy to do!).

73,
Dean, K5DH