[TenTec] Lineage of Transceivers ?

Simmons, Reid W reid.w.simmons@intel.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:34:16 -0800

Do you know how the name "Electro-Voice" came about?

Since I am from SW Michigan where Electro-Voice currently resides, the story
we heard was that Knute Rockne (legendary ND Football coach and professor of
Chemistry) needed a device that he could use during practice so that the
team members could clearly hear him.  This company (then in South Bend,
Indiana I believe) built him a PA system that Knute referred to as his
"Electric Voice".  At least that's the story as told around that part of the
country.  That was back in the 1930s so some embellishment of the story
since then is quite possible.  Some say that there were also some ties to
the Heath Company but I could never substantiate that.

Reid, K7YX

-----Original Message-----
From: Winston F. Jones [mailto:winjones@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 2:31 PM
To: Steve Ellington; Carl Moreschi
Cc: tentec
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lineage of Transceivers ?

I'd like to see a book written on Tec Tec's history, similar to what John
Loughmiller recently did with R. L. Drake (January, QST review). Since
Ten-Tec's founders are still living (as far as I know), it should be easy to
put together the history of the company, with lineage of all their products.

I understand the Ten-Tec story is quite interesting. The company was started
in 1968 by Al Kahn, who had been president of Electro-Voice. The way I heard
it, he came to Sevierville to set up an Electro-Voice plant. He liked the
area so much, he decided to retire there and set up his own company --
Ten-Tec.

73, Winston  K4CWQ