[TenTec] Station Grounding

Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:45:36 -0800

Well, I kinda gotta dis-agree.  Seems that's what I do best lately.  I
don't have a station RF ground.

My station is on the 2nd floor of a 2 story wooden frame house.
Actually it's in the middle of the house with no access to an outside
wall.  The feed lines (and rotor cable) go up to the crawl space,
carefully suspended from the roof rafters, out the eve and up the
tower.  If I put a ground on the station it would be 50 ft long to
earth.  As I figure it, this would be of no value at all.  I do use the
3rd pin AC for safety however.  Each piece of equipemnt is connected to
the Tentec power supply ground terminal via #10 stranded copper
jumpers.  Crimp terminals are used but then they are soldered in
addition after crimping.  I use some LCOF copper speaker wire as it's
nice and flexable.

The HF antennas are center fed wires: one fed with balanced feed for
160M (256 ft long) and a center fed wire for 75M (120 ft long).  The 75M
antenna is fed with RG-213 and I use a 5KW rated 1:1 current balun at
the antenna center feed point.  I use the 160M antenna on all bands as I
so desire and the 75M antenna on 75M and 10M.  The Tentec 238 tuner
keeps the rig happy.  No RF at any time here in the shack.....any band,
any mode, any frequency.

The rig is a Tentec Omni VI+, TT 705 desk mike, TT Centruion amp, TT 238
tuner.  NO TVI even thought the TV antenna is located on the side of the
Rohn 25G that supports the center of the wire antennas and the VHF 2M
array at the top.  (TV stations are 85 miles away so we are considered
to be in the fringe area of coverage.)  No telephone interference to the
wired or 900 MHz cordless phones here in the house (no mods done to the
phones either).  I operate 160M through 10M with these 2 antennas.  The
amp produces 1200+ watts output.  The computer monitor and keyboard is
on the same table as the ham station.  The computer tower sits on the
floor under the table.  No problem here either.  All of the station is