[TenTec] AT-11MP

Stuart Rohre rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:32:05 -0600

Sherrill,
your second condition of the loop being quarter wave high is what I though
until we tried a 160m loop at 20 feet last field day!  It worked both HI and
all over North America and Canada, perfect for Field Day.  Bands used were
40 and up to 10m, the summer static made 80m not worth the effort, nor from
us receiving, but for the other stations who could not hear us thru summer
static.  We were qrp on SSB at 5 watts out.   Everyone heard us fine on 40
and up.
73,
Stuart K5KVH
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sherrill WATKINS" <SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>; <Bill_Ames@hyperion.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AT-11MP

> Mr. Ames:  The fact that the swr may be high on the coax between your
antenna tuner and the actual antenna is NOT important provided the coax is
the low loss type and the peak voltages do not exceed its rating.  At hf,
most coax has fairly reasonable loss characteristics.  If you are still
concerned or not sure about the coax, then replace it with home made open
wire ladder line type. The open wire transmission line has about 1/10 to
1/100 the loss of coax.  Remember, any swr appearing on the transmission
line has nothing what so ever to do with how well the antenna is radiating.
I have never used a horizontal loop antenna but those I have talked to that
have swear by them, provided they are at least one wavelength in overall
length on the lowest operating frequency and are at least 1/4 wavelenth in
height on the lowest operating frequency.- Corn - k4own