[TenTec] Re: " A Low vswr will kill you !"

Sherrill WATKINS SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:17:28 -0500

I have brought open wire line, 6" spacing, through an aluminum storm window and fed it with 700 watts on 75 meters with no problems.  In the ARRL Antenna Book, at least my older editions from the 1950's, state that open wire will not radiate unless an unbalanced current condition exists or the spacing exceeds one percent of the wavelength.  As long as the spacing is held to less than one percent of the wavelength, I do not see how the frequency would matter?  On vhf, if my math is correct, one percent of the wavelength on two meters would be about 20mm or about 3/4".  This is why TV foam type transmission line makes great balanced transmission line for 160 through 2 meters for moderate or low power.  What Mr. Maxwell was refering to about his statement " A low vswr will kill you ! " is the fact that many hams will only operate their transmitter within a narrow bandwidth based on the vswr characteristics of their antenna and are completely hostile and close minded to the correct idea of tuning antenna system to resonance so they can operate anywhere. Of course, this attitude is still very pervalent amoung hams including this reflector. - Corn k4own.