[TenTec] Broad Band Antenna

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer geraldj@ames.net
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:02:04 -0600

RIGHT ON! The B&W broadband antenna is a leaky dummy load. Might as well
use any coax fed dipole with a T in the coax hooked to a 50 ohm dummy
load to present a match to the radio.

I recalled that resistor was 200 ohms but at least one X-ray of the
module showed it had scrap pieces to confuse the X-ray. The design was
originally published in CQ magazine in the 50s as the T2FD. Terminated
2-wire Folded Dipole. Its main market seems to be emergency managers who
see the broad bandwidth and ignore the poor performance. I don't know
with the Iowa state EOC is using for an antenna, but Dec 31, 1999 I had
to regularly relay because the EOC couldn't copy signals that were solid
copy (despite the QRM of every state EOC sitting on the same frequency)
with a simple inverted V and my Corsair II.

73, Jerry, K0CQ