[TenTec] SWR and Rain

Sherrill WATKINS SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:06:58 -0500

Denny: I agree what you are saying is correct.  However, what I am
saying is that with my 6" open wire line on 80 and 40 meters, and
using a link coupled antenna tuner and a Drake W4 and a Heathkit
power/ swr meter, no DETECTABLE difference was noted in any
swr change between dry, rain, fog, ice or snow.  The power/ swr
meter was installed between the transmitter and the antenna tuner.
The tuner was adjusted for minimum reflected power; usually zero.
 I fully agree the dielectric constant of the line was changing as the
weather changed.  However, it was so SMALL as to be insignificant.
 (The normal swr on the open wire line was calculated mathematically
at about 5:1.)  My point being, any amateur who has an antenna
system that the swr changes, on hf, MAY (not always) have a problem.
This is axiomatic, every antenna book that I have read supports this.
 -  73's-  Corn -k4own.

Corrupt politicians love unarmed serfs.