[TenTec] PLEASE, no more arguing about off-topic posts!!! Now a Tentec question!

Stuart Rohre rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:25:27 -0600

Allan,
Many of the more modern rigs are spec's to the full charged auto battery, or
13.8 VDC operation.  The TT Scout/Argo starts to drift at about 11 VDC by
test.  The 12 volt source must be stiff, and the 13.8 VDC home supply is
what makes most modern rigs content.  We have run my Scout on 12 volt
electric car battery, at 80AH, for 24 hours.  At the end of Field Day, the
12 volt was 11.994 VDC.  It had started at full charge.

Hope that helps.  With the proliferation of chain replacement battery
stores, it is easier to find a heavy duty 2 volt cell for beefing up an
existing system based on 12 volts.  Another thing to do, is use a solar
panel to float charge the battery and keep it from only draining during rig
operation.
GL and 73,
Stuart k5KVH