[TenTec] Weird Jupiter Xmit Problem

K6atz@aol.com K6atz@aol.com
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 04:57:37 EDT

Carl,

Ben's absolutely right, that's RF getting into the radio.  If you're using
the remote it may be getting in that way.  You may even be able to affect it
by putting your hand on the side of the remote while it's happening.  Anyway,
just unplug everything - remote, computer cable, etc. - and work through this
by process of elimination.

Keep cables short, reposition everything, try ferrite beads on the cables if
you have to.  And while you're at it, as long as I have the podium:  break up
ground loops in the transmission line with coiled coax or line isolators in
the appropriate places, use a short ground strap to a very deep and isolated
ground rod, and connect all straps between your equipment to one central
point on your tuner or the rig instead of connecting them at different points
along the main strap.

There recently was a long thread on this subject here on this list.  Ten-Tec
rigs are notoriously sensitive to RF.  And when you also have connections to
a computer and other accessories there are that many more avenues for it to
get into the radio.

Here come the passions:  "It's the price we pay for the superior features in
the rest of the radio!"  But my Jupiter did the exact same thing, and my
Pegasus actually shut itself down at one point.....yet when I placed my 1984
Yaesu FT-102 with remote VFO, external speaker, and everything else in the
exact same postions as my Jupiter setup, the '102 basically just said "What
RF?".....   (I'm going to duck now.)

Joe, K6ATZ