[TenTec] Weird Jupiters is absolutely correct

Carl J. Denbow ka8jxg@callsign.net
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 00:06:29 -0400

On Sun, 08 Jul 2001 16:45:38 -0400, Jerry Harley wrote:

>Oh, I just have to reply.  What planet are you all from, or what are
>you
>smoking.
>My Jupiter is a fantastic transceiver for the price.  Display
>problems?
>you need to look at the Kenwoods and Icoms, I've adjusted the 746 10
>dozen times, it never seems correct.  RF what RF?  I've tried to
>duplicate some of your problems can do it.  I did use a dipole on
the
>lawn that had a feed line the was too parallel to one leg and it
>knocked
>my old Swan Astro 150 inside out so I tried the Jupiter, and guess
>what
>RF got in, so I tried a Swan 500C and the RF go it also.  You draw
>your
>own conclusion.
>Poor receiver??  Then my IC 746, TS180, and other TT's must be bad
>also,
>the receiver is fine.  I'll put it up against the best of them.  I
>think
>the DSP set super narrow will even let me carry on a conversation
>next
>to Ivar and Old timer, I've done it just to test the filters.
>I don't understand all the negativism,  this is one terrific radio
>for
>the price.  It blew the IC 746 right off my bench and I'm going to
>sell
>it because it gets no use.  I'd rather play with my golden oldies
and
>QRP, and when I'm serious run the Jupiter.  I know I'm not the only
>one
>that loves this radio, so lets hear about it.   WA2TTI P40GH OX3GH
>XP1AB  Jerry
>

>MYCROFT wrote:
>>
>> I must agree with just about everything written about the Juniper
>>(Jupiter)
>> radio
>> being palmed off by TT as a "Ham" transceiver. It's an empty box,
>>designed to
>> make money for TT. Troubled by RF - which it generates - a poor
>>receiver,
>> that DSP
>> can't cure, dull display screen surrounded by a front panel made
>>for a left
>> handed
>> person, no provision for a separate receive antenna, fragile and
>>delicate -
>> a real
>> "Prima Donna" that I'm sure TT Service wishes had never been made,
>>or else
>> tested in the real world of a average Ham Shack before being
>>released.
>>
>> Perhaps Juniper owners should start a class action suit? They have
>>lemon laws
>> for cars................ Should TT issue a RECALL for all
>>Jupiters? Make
>> the darn
>> things right in the first place TT - admit you have given some
> [...]

Since I seem to have started this semi-flame-throwing contest, let me
apologize to any TT engineers, etc., who might be lurking.  I only
asked a specific question about an RF problem that I was having.
Several folks made good suggestions that enabled me to find and fix
the problem.  I've made several local and DX contacts today with the
Jupiter and I've had no return of the RF-in-the-rig problem.  I, too,
love this little rig.  I've been using it for most of my HF contacts
in recent months.  The only thing I'm waiting for is the next
firmware upgrade which a TT engineer told me would probably have a
CAT code that would allow logging software to interface with the rig
in non-Pegasus mode.  I really look forward to that enhancement.  As
someone said, what other rig have you ever bought that keeps getting
better with new features every few months.  That's neat!!!

This is the first TT rig I've ever owned.  Until a few months ago I
was a Kenwood man all the way.  Now my HF rigs are the Jupiter (The
main MAN!), a used 706MKII that I traded my 690S for at a hamfest,
and a used QRP Vertex-Standard 817 that I bought from a local ham who
had two of these rigs (He bought the second one "dead" fix it and
sold it to me cheap).  I've been so impressed with the Jupiter that
I'd like to buy a used Titan -- the newer model with the digital
tuning.  Anyone have a used one for sale??

73

Carl
Carl J. Denbow
KA8JXG