[TenTec] PSK 31 &Corsair Problems

Joseph Schulte schulte@bright.net
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 00:09:40 -0400

Many thanks to Ken, N9VV, for his help and suggestions in resolving PSK 31
problems that came up with the Corsair.  He suggested I make a post to help
others resolve problems that might come up.  He had a similar experience
using his Jupiter.
1. Make sure the rig, power supply, and the computer itself is connected to
a good earth ground. (Does this sound like a good basic operating practice?
Duh is me)

2. Use shielded cable from the computer to the interface board and to the
transceiver from the interface board.  If this does not cure RF getting
into your transmitted audio the square snap on chokes from radio shack
should be the cure.  Wrap your audio lines around the choke per Radio
Shacks instructions going into your transceiver as close to the transceiver
as possible.

3, Turn the ALC level all the way down (counter clockwise on the Corsair).
Set the  drive to around 9 or 10 o'clock.  When keying in the PSK 31mode
adjust the audio input for around 15 to 25 watts output.  Do not attempt to
get the ALC light to activate.  (If you do you your PSK signal will not be
decodeable and you will be very distorted) Audio input to the rig can be
adjusted from the audio output controls for your sound card.  Mine are
about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.  You can also fine tune the 10
turn 1000 ohm pot on your interface board if you are using the typical PSK
31 interface board setup.  However, most critical is the sound card level
setting.

You can work the world running this low power from a dipole.  This mode is
amazing.  You frequently print stations cleanly that you cannot even hear
but they show up on your waterfall display in your software program.

Most of the stations I have talked to are running 15 to 30
watts.  Typically, anything more than that is overkill it seems.

Check out www.n9vv.com for further info about the PSK 31mode,QRP and links
to it as well as other interesting stuff.
Many thanks to Ken for his help in getting me up and running with a clean
transmitted signal after a week of getting QRZ? when I  answered someone's
CQ.  Good luck and happy PSK 31, Joe WA8UET

If you are interested in oil company memorabilia or collect die cast
trucks, check out our web site at:

http://www.idealcollectibles.com

We specialize in  First Gear Marathon Oil trucks.