[TenTec] RX-320 Control Software for Palm OS Computers

Michael A. Newell, WB4HUC MNEWELL1@austin.rr.com
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:44:09 -0500

Folks, I've just completed the first version of a piece of software
written for the Palm OS PDAs and I'm looking for some early
testers. The basic functionality of the program is there, which is
control over the following radio functions:

frequency tuning
agc delay
speaker volume
mode
selection of  filters
reporting the radio's internal firmware version number

in addition, the software allows you a wide choice of
vfo tuning steps and it stores the active settings then
recalls them the next time you start the program.

One thing that isn't there yet is the ability to store and
recall frequency and related information in memory.
I want to get the radio control functionality debugged
before I proceed to file management.

What I'm looking for is a few folks, five or six, who own
some version of a Palm OS computer ( Handspring, Palm,
Handera, Sony, etc.), a serial cable, and an RX-320. I
would like for these folks to test the software as it is right
now to make sure I don't have any kind of timing or serial
port issues with different computers.

If you don't have a serial cable you might still be able to
use the software. I thought that for some of the Palm
devices you could use a null modem adapter on the end
of the docking cradle cable then plug the docking cradle
into a modem or whatever. But I'm not sure about that.
Proceed at your own risk.

I use a Handspring Visor Deluxe and a MarkSpace Datacord,
but it would be nice to have some testing done using one of the
new 33mhz  devices and also color devices. The software is
not in color but I want to be sure in runs on color machines ok.

Interested parties should email me and let me know what kind
of Palm computer they have, so I can be sure each tester has
a different kind of PDA.

I want to use the software myself for a couple of days to be
sure there's no unexpected glitches on my Visor, and by the
weekend I should be ready to pass it out to whomever might
be interested. Besides, I need a couple of days to put the
package together that I'll be sending out.

I have no idea if there's any demand for this kind of thing or not,
so it'll be interesting.

Thanks,

--
Michael A. Newell, WB4HUC