[TenTec] CW--slightly off topic

mike bryce prosolar@sssnet.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:02:59 -0400

yes, a bit off topic, but since the ten tec radios are a CW man's rig, I'll
ask anyway.

"what's the secret to copy CW in one's head?"

I've been a ham now for over 25 years and have yet to master this art. Oh, I
can copy good code up to 35 wpm, but I have to WRITE it down on paper. And
at that speed, you sure go though a lot of paper.

Now, don't get me wrong, after months of practice without pencil I can copy
the "the, but, all, week, qth and other "word sounds"" but can't make sense
of what is going on without getting out my pencil.

When I am in the car, the radio is tuned to the 40 meter cw band and I
listen and listen. since I am driving I can't write so it makes for a good
combination.

I find the faster the code, up to about 30 wpm is easier to copy than very
slow code of say 15 wpm.

The usual rig here and weather here I can usually get, but if the topic
takes off from the standard exchange I' am in deep poop!

so, other than hours per day of practice, what's the secret ?

--
Mike Bryce WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems