[TenTec] New IF-DSP HF QRP transceiver

Bahr, Casey casey.bahr@intel.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:59:21 -0700

By "conventional" I assume you're referring to crystal filters (vs., say,
mechanical filters). Well, even there, there are crystal filters (ala' Ten
Tec and Elecraft) and there are *good* crystal filters (ala' Drake).  I
don't think the K2 filtering is all that sharp compared to my TR7 (or even
my old 2-C for that matter). I think the comments you might be hearing about
the K2's receive quality has more to do with their very low noise floor
rather than the filters themselves.

I'm not a big fan of IF/DSP, but DSP sure has its place, especially *in
addition to* good crystal filtering. So, I'd say you are on the right track
to suggest that Ten-Tec be sure to come up to the bar when specifying
filtering at least as good as the K2. But, they could do even better.

73,

Casey, KS7J

-----Original Message-----
From: John, KE5C [mailto:ke5c@hot.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 12:18 PM
To: tentec@contesting.com
Cc: Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New IF-DSP HF QRP transceiver

> We are ACTIVELY SOLICITING your commentary for this new
> transceiver.  As this unit will be another software-defined transceiver

Before long I am going to buy a K2, and this announcement won't change that.
I haven't used a Pegasus/Jupiter, but I have used an Iom 756PRO.  This
reflector has been down the IF/DSP versus conventional filtering road
before, and I'll stay on the conventional filtering road until there's a
major breakthrough in IF/DSP's overall performance.  I can't think of a K2
owner who didn't first tell me what a great receiver it has with only the
Omni being close, so I can't help but think that is also a very important
issue with QRP ops, so your receiver, IF/DSP or not, better perform well if
you want to compete.

73, de ke5c, op john