[TenTec] DSP Engine in New Rig?

wo8l@att.net wo8l@att.net
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:56:24 +0000

Hey Larry,

I read your posting on Ten Tec's DSP with interest.
What you're describing, though, is not so much problems
with the Pegasus and Jupiter.

Actually, you pretty well describe the nature of DSP as
it's currently available in most mid-range ham rigs from
virtually all manufacturers.

I have used the Pegasus and can assure you that its
audio is no more or less "mushy" than the sound of my
Kenwood TS570S.  In addition, the Kenwood has weaknesses
which the Pegasus doesn't and vice-versa.

DSP filtering, whether at the IF level or the audio
level, is easy to use and very versatile but does come
with some compromises in audio quality, receiver
selectivity and receiver sensitivity.

To avoid these compromises, the consumer would need to
jump to a higher priced and more complex rig.  The
Pegasus/Jupiter and its host of competitors are just
what they're designed to be.  They're medium priced, mid-
range performance rigs which do the job for most hams
for both domestic and DX contacts.

The difference in receiver performance between my OMNI V
full of filters and the Kenwood TS570 or Jupiter are
obvious to the experienced ham who wants the best.

However, a new OMNI VI+ or Kenwood TS-2000 with optional
filters carries a price triple a Pegasus.  Combined with
a decent beam or even a vertical, the typical ham can
work all the contacts he or she can handle with the less
expensive rig.

It all depends upon one's preferences, I guess.

Lots of hams like to cuss and discuss all of the varied
strengths and weaknesses of various rigs.

It reminds me of the endless arguments about which is
bettter, a Chevy or a Ford. Myself, it doesn't matter.
They've all got good features and weak features.

Similarly, the perfect rig has never been made.  But the
Pegasus/Jupiter and its competitors sure pile up the DX
at a reasonable price compared to the boat anchors we
hams once used.

73s,

Rick
WO8L
Pfafftown, NC

> Jerry:
>

> > What problems???????????????????????????????????
>
> Pegasus and Jupiter have serious problems with receive
mushy receive sound,
> poor quality transmit CW note, and for my work here
the transmit side tone
> is sitting in the middle of the receive audio output,
way down in level
> (some bit below the noise) but my DSP system finds the
tone and figures it
> has found a weak signal which causes no end of grief
for my use of this
> family of products.
>
> I didn't ask the question to begin the education
process of those who have
> not been on the reflector for very long, these issues
have been well
> discussed and cussed you should dig in the archives
for more information on

http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec