[TenTec] Argosy II -- chirpy on CW receive ?

Kevin L Anderson k9iua@juno.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:03:05 EDT

Folks,

I've had my radio (an Argosy II) mostly off over
the last few weeks (I just haven't been in much
of a radio mood, I guess).

Tonight when I turned it on and started tuning
through the CW portions of 20 and 40m, I kept
hearing what sounded like chirpy signals from
the other folks.  This was especially evident when
I'd first encounter the signal at the edge of the
passband and where their pitches were still
higher.  Then when I would slow down my tuning
to stop on a signal, the chirpy sound more-or-less
goes away (leaving me with the feeling my mind
is playing tricks).

Is this the early signs of my PTO developing
a problem?  Could there be something else?
(It doesn't seem to be the band, such as aurora,
as the Scout out in the car shows no signs of
this behavior.)

This radio, which I bought used last winter, hasn't
given me any problems until now.  And otherwise
the PTO feels good and smooth to the touch.

Any thoughts would be welcome.  I'd hate to have
to send the radio off for servicing, but will if it
needs it.

Cheers/73,
Kevin Anderson
Kevin Anderson, K9IUA, Lincoln/Bismarck ND
e-mail:  K9IUA@juno.com     Opinions all my own.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.