[TenTec] Field Day and "6N2"

Simmons, Reid W reid.w.simmons@intel.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:20:52 -0700

Jim;

I used to work a lot of 6 meters back in the 60s (mostly AM back then) and
the band usage was pretty much the same except that people used to cluster
between 50.200 - 50.250 MHz.  I always thought it was because most hams were
used to the "slivers" of frequencies available to us in the HF region and
they just couldn't get used to all the "wide open space" on 6 and 2.  Kind
of like when a life-long big city dweller moves out into the country. :-)

Reid, K7YX

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Lowman [mailto:jmlowman@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2001 1:52 PM
To: wg6h@pacbell.net
Cc: tentec list
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Field Day and "6N2"

Bill Miner wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Thanks for the Field day report on the T-T 6N2.  I have mine on order
> but don't expect to receive it until sometime in July.

What's the lead time these days?  Seems like it took about 10 days-two
weeks to make it to SoCal from the time of ordering.

> Can you give any information on how the 6N2 receiver performed on a
> crowded band and also in the high RF envirnment you must have had at
> 7000 ft?

By no means am I an expert on VHF - just enjoy using those bands
occasionally - but it never ceases to amaze me the way that stations
cluster in such a limited portion of the band during FD.  Most on 6m
were found between 50.125 MHz and 50.175 MHz, when the bandplan allows for
SSB pretty much up to 50.600 MHz.  One station was calling CQ on 50.180
and went begging.  He had a strong signal and I had no apparent
competition for his attention, so it was an easy contact.  On 2m it's even
worse; everyone seems to stay within 20 kHz of the 144.200 MHz calling
frequency, with many right on it.  Perhaps someone can explain this to me.
Is this also the case during VHF contests?  I'm more accustomed to the
wall-to-wall signals on HF during a contest.

It seemed to pull in the weak ones well, and I simply failed to utilize
the 35 IF-DSP filters to separate the competing signals on a given
frequency.

As to the high RF environment, we set up in a campground on the Angeles
National Forest that's pretty remote.  There are a couple of sites on
nearby Blue Ridge, but I didn't notice any problems.

We're going up to northern California, near Sacramento, for a week-long
vacation soon.  There is apparently a lot more activity on 2m up there
(outside of contests) than there is in SoCal.  I'll have a chance to try
out the 2m capabilities then.

73 de Jim - AD6CW