[TenTec] Samlex America power supplies

KF6ZZ@aol.com KF6ZZ@aol.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 19:02:40 EST

   Hey Bob !
    I use an Astron SS-25 to operate my Corsair II and a SS-18 to power my
Scout.

Both are excellent performers, typical load regulation is 50 mv for a load
step form 1 to 18 amps ( 22A on the SS-25 ).
No RFI or EMI problems.

  I did have one failure when the SS-18 was 6 months past warranty and Astron
offered to fix it for free.
( Turns out it was a shorted 2N2222 -- I replaced it myself ).

  I spent 20 years in the Aerospace Industry designing switching supplies,
and I am very impressed with the circuit design, the packaging,  and the
quality of workmanship of these Astron units.
The quality of the magnetic components in their switchers is first rate.

  An excellent value for the money, I honestly don't know how they can sell
them so cheap !
Consider this --- Astron manufactures and services their products here in
southern california.
Wonder if Samlex is a domestic OEM ?
Wonder what their customer serivce is like ?
Do they repair their products here ? How long does it take ?
Do you get to talk to Samlex repair technical reps directly, or just get
stonewalled by a secretary ( like at Kenwood? ) ?

  Even with my limited requests, Astron seems to have the same attitude
toward customer service that TT has. They have been very responsive, even
supplying free drawings.

Seems to me that good service is well worth a few more bucks.
What good is a three year warranty if the quality of service is unknown ?

Just ruminating ...........
- 73,     -Phil     KF6ZZ

p.s. --- Yes you can adjust the Astrons up past 14.5 volts; pop the cover and
diddle the only trimpot in sight. Wear rubber gloves and use a plastic
screwdriver > >  330 VDC exposed .....

 p.s.#2 and yes  you can charge batteries ---   I recharged the lead acid
battery in Moms T-bird in about a half hour from dead flat to 13.5 volts ...
no worries.

ps#3  no, I don't own Astron stock.

ps#4   One of the nice features about the SS -18 is that it nicely shuts down
at    ~ 19 amps load --- which makes it a perfect match for my Corsair II
when the SWR is too high --- I don't have to rely on one of those lathargic
Airpax breakers, this thing shuts down in a coupla hundred microseconds.
Turns out that by adjusting one resistor,
this overcurrent threshold can be lowered all the way to zero.