[TenTec] Pegasus / Jupiter and Timewave DSP599zx

Mark Erbaugh mark@microenh.com
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:29:05 -0500

Has anyone hooked up the Timewave DSP599zx box to a Jupiter or Pegasus?  The
latest firmware allows the 599zx to provide an interface between the
transceiver and a computer for modes such as PSK31.  All you need are
connecting cables. The RS232 - TTL level converter for PTT control is in the
box. The input and output levels are adjustable through setup menus so you
shouldn't need additional level adjusting pots. I spent a couple of hours
messing with the setup this afternoon and never did get my transmitted PSK
to sound clean.  It was close, but the one on the air contact I made gave me
a -12 IMD (which I think is way too high). Of course there could have been
other factors, but I suspect that I'm overdriving the tx.  The 599zx output
level can be adjusted over a 50 db range (-45 - +6 or so) range so you would
think that would be enough.  I wonder if I've got some feedback or something
going in.

73,
Mark, N8ME