[TenTec] Mobile question

Bwana Bob wb2vuf@qsl.net
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:48:13 -0500

Hi Vince,

I've had a similar problem with a variety of rigs. Usually the
tachometer pointer will dip a bit with keying or modulation. Once, with
a 10 meter rig, the cruise control was affected.

First things to try:

Make sure that the ground lug on the Scout is tied to a good ground with
a decent piece of braid.

See if it happens on all bands.

Try the rig on a dummy load. If the problem persists, the RF is coupling
into the car wiring via the power leads (I have a Radio Shack HTX-100
10 m radio that was particularly bad in this respect). Try splitting
the two powe leads close to the rig and wrapping each lead  through a
snap-on core.

If the RF is getting in through the antenna, you may have to move it
or find the affected automotive circuits and use chokes, feedthrough
caps or shielding on them.

				73,
				Bob WB2VUF