[TenTec] Omni V questions

Mark Erbaugh mark@microenh.com
Tue, 15 May 2001 23:12:37 -0400

Omni V fans,

1) what is the recommended / proper way to zero beat a CW signal with the
Omni V? It doesn't appear to have a spotting tone and you can't use the
sidetone with transmitting (I think).  Short of switching to SSB, I don't
think there is a way to remove the BFO offset and tune for a zero beat. What
I've done so far is to monitor the received signal on my computer using the
DigiPan waterfall and tune for a 600 Hz signal (I'm too tone deaf to do it
by ear, but I think with practice, I may learn).

2) through the speaker it sounds fine. However, I plugged in a pair of 8 ohm
Kenwood Ham headphones (they work fine with other rigs, including my
Pegasus). With the AF gain at minimum, the audio is weak and full of hiss
but readable. If I increase the AF gain even the least little bit, it gets
way too loud.

3) What is acceptable frequency stability?  After the radio had been on for
30 minutes (mostly receive). I tuned in to WWV's (10 MHz) carrier until I
got about a 1kHz tone. I monitored this tone using the waterfall in DigiPan
with AFC enabled. After 10 minutes, the tone had increased 4.6 Hz, after 30
minutes, 10.4 Hz, after 45 minutes, 13.2 Hz and after 60 minutes 14.8 Hz.

73,
Mark