[TenTec] Kachina

Richard Thorne rthorne@tcac.net
Thu, 17 May 2001 08:02:28 -0500

I sure hate it when a manufacturer leaves the market.  Reminds me of
when Heath, Drake and Collins left the amateur market.

The 505dsp sure is a fun radio.  I bought mine specifically for remote
control.  While remote controlled hf stations are not new, Kachina was
the first to come out with a practical turn key solution.  I had two and
a half years of enjoyable remote dxing/rag chewing/contesting operation
with the set up.

Recently, a friend (K5XM) and I traded.  He received my 505dsp, 505rc's
and 505arx so he could setup a remote station, and I received his Omni 6
opt 3.  I made this trade as I'm going to be moving out to the country
very soon where I can put up towers again in my own backyard.  However,
if I did not have the opportunity to operate remote, there is a chance I
wouldn't even be in the hobby any longer.  I have restrictions in my
current neighborhood, and having the ability to operate remote allowed
me to continue to operate.

So thanks to Kachina for developing a fine radio with the remote option,
it is a great solution for my situation and others.

And since I'm posting this to the Ten Tec reflector, I sure like my Omni
6.  I've never owned a Ten Tec until now and am wondering what took so
long to give it a try.

I wonder if Ten Tec should get hold of the Kachina folks and figure out
a way to adapt the 505RC remote box to work with the Pegasus or any
radio for that matter and take over the manufacturing/marketing of the
units.  There is a need for remote radios due to the ever tightening
convenants in the neighborhoods.

--
Richard Thorne
Amarillo, TX