[TenTec] Inrad Receiver Mod for OMNI 6+ question

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj@yahoo.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 09:16:32 -0700 (PDT)

Harry,

>> Hello I am a little confused about the parts they
had sent to me.

I received 2 bags, one bag contained SMT (surface
mount technology) parts (two capacitors and one
resistor) and the other bag contained two capacitors
and one resistor but they look like the old style
discrete components. The complete modification can be
acheived using either bag of parts. I used a grounded
tip IC soldering iron and it was a tight job. The
hardest part is removing the original SMT parts.

The mod, even with the stock filters, adds fidelity to
the received audio and it is very noticable. There is
much more bass. The SSB is not neccesarily more
intelligable, just more natural sounding.

The addition of the 2.8 SSB filters improves the
fidelity even more, and with this change it is
possible to notice the hams that are transmitting
hi-fi SSB signals from those that have usual SSB
transmitters. Without the Inrad filters, all of these
will sound pretty similar.

I hope this helps!

Don Rasmussen WB8YQJ/6
Carlsbad, Ca.