[TenTec] Now I see!

George, W5YR w5yr@att.net
Tue, 22 May 2001 15:39:38 -0500

Lest there be confusion, the 602A has a three-band *parametric* EQ, not a
graphic EQ. There is a tremendous difference in the performance of the two
types.

I was concerned over having only a three-band EQ when Bob Heil first
proposed that I get a 602A, but he assured me that there was far more EQ
horsepower there than I would need - and he was exactly right!   <:}

As a point of reference and comparison, most professional audio EQ is done
with parametric equalizers, typically using 4 or 5 bands. These cost from
hundreds up to thousands of dollars. They provide independent adjustment of
center frequency, bandwidth (Q), slope rates, amplitude (gain), etc.

Graphic equalizers are much less expensive but accordingly are much more
limited in their capabilities. They are all right for what they do, but
their performance cannot compare with the parametric units. An inherent
problem is phase distortion in theoverlapping frequency ranges in which the
adjacent-channel circuits perform. This problem is obviated with the
parametric approach.

One other point: the two Mic input channels (1 and 2) each have independent
preamp gain controls separate and apart from the mixer output level
controls. So, rather than building an attenuator for the line-level output
to reduce the signal level, it is possible to just reduce the incompint
preamp gain to the same end.

I am very pleased to see this interest in the little mixer. I know that it
has brought about a tremendous improvement in my enjoyment of my equipment.
I would urge anyone interested in the unit to download the User Manual from
the Behringer web site already posted.

72/73, George  W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6
Fairview, TX   30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county   EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 55th year and it just keeps getting better!
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437