[TenTec] Need 25 Pin Y Cable

John, KE5C ke5c@vvm.com
Tue, 29 May 2001 12:56:07 -0500

> Need a 25 pin Y cable so that I can attach remote tuning knob and computer
> to Omni VI.  Any sources or extras out there?  Thanks,
> Dennis/N4DD

You can also make one which is what I ended up doing.  You only need three
pins going to the computer: GND (1), TXD (2), and RXD (3);  and four to the
RM301: +5 (16), phase1 (6), GND(7), and phase2 (8).  You can check the pinouts
by looking at figure 4-26 in the Omni VI manual for the TX audio board
schematic.  I didn't have a print on my used RM301, but you can just look at
the encoder and figure the pinout easily - if I recall it might even match pin
for pin the DB-25 on the Omni - but you need to check.  Hacking an existing
cable is hard since they all come now with molded plugs it seems, but you can
still get DB-25 connectors and hoods at Radio Shack.  So far, no RFI problems
with an IBM ThinkPad running TR-LOG.

73, de ke5c, op john