[TenTec] Omni VI+, Henry and QSK-5

Jim Reid jimr.reid@verizon.net
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:08:46 -1000

Hi,

Hope I am not the first with this situation.  Have a Henry
amp used with my Omni.  Henry relays are "hot switching",
so decided to add the Ameritron QSK-5 timing gizmo to
properly sequence the Omni and the Henry.  So today,
rcv'd the QSK-5 from AES.

Opened the manual for instructions:  instantly hit vocabulary
confusion!!?  The QSK-5 is to connect to the transceiver
and amp in several places.  And,  of course,  the Omni has
CW TX Out and TX En, Key and the Relay output to the
amplifier.  The QSK-5 is to also receiver the RF signal from
the Omni,  feed the signal into the Henry,  receive the signal
out from the Henry,  then input the signal into the antenna
system -- watt meter,  tuner,  etc.

The QSK-5 requires connections as follows each of which is
described in language completely foreign to Omni language and
to me!  These connections are:

AUX
 "One common use is to "connect the hand-shake output to
the transceiver".
This is said to be factory wired to an open "collect" output
that "follows the Key 2 signal".

KEY 2,
Described as requiring to be "pulled low", below 2 volts, to
place the QSK switch in the transmit mode during break-in
operation (I am guessing this is the jack to which my keyer
will connect??). "A full return to receive mode occurs less
than one mS after this jack goes high."  But,  see on below
where the Ameritron sample wiring diagram has this jack
connected to the "transceiver QSK line",  whatever that is.

KEY 1

"This jack connects to the VOX relay or the QSK line of the
transceiver.  This jack activates the amplifier's internal relay via the
AMP RELAY jack even if the QSK-5 switch is turned off.  This
jack has no time delay at the beginning of transmissions.  However,
on below in the sample hook-up instructions,  the KEY 1 is shown
strapped to the AUX jack,  and both connected to the transceiver's
"VOX relay" ??

AMP RELAY

"This line connects to the amplifier's key (relay) jack."

Supplied wiring diagram:

KEY 1 and AUX

A wiring diagram is shown which "will work with most QSK
transceivers".  This diagram shows that KEY 1 and AUX are
strapped together and connected to the transceivers VOX
relay?  Also,  via a diode,  this same pair can also be connected to
the transceiver's "handshake"  jack,  if required. (?)

KEY 2

This is shown connecting to the transceiver's QSK line.

I have read and reread these instructions.  Each time they
make less sense to me!  The wiring diagram which I have
tried to describe seems to contradict the statements given
above about these various jacks.  And there is no keyer
connection;  unless that goes to the transceiver's key jack
or is,  in fact to go to the KEY 2 jack?

Wish I knew what the Omni's QSK line was,  the hand-shake
line,  etc.  I am guessing that some of these must interconnect
with the Omni TX En and TX OUT jacks;  that these may be
the mysterious hand-shake and QSK lines.

Help!  Anyone been here,  done this already,  I hope.

73,  Jim  KH7M