[TenTec] Omni C AGC Pop

Clark Savage Turner csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:56:19 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Terry Gaiser wrote:

>  After using a Corsair one for several years I now have a Omni C. Great
 radio except for the loud pop on the attack of the AGC on strong signals.
 Anybody have a fix for this ?

Hi Terry!  Good to see you on the list.  There are some fixes for the AGC
pop, but the AGC is audio derived (making the AF filtering much more
effective - its inside the loop) and the fixes generally reduce the sweet
QSK effect.  I have messed with the time constant, the attack time cap and
managed to get the sound reasonable, but never eliminated the pop without
destroying the QSK (making it more like semi-QSK).

One other solution is to reduce the RF gain and ride it manually, but that
never appealed to me, I usually like to run with the RF gain wide open for
hearing the background while I'm in QSO.

Clark
WA3JPG