[TenTec] Re: TenTec digest, Vol 1 #111 - 9 msgs

Monty N5FC n5fc@io.com
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 16:28:17 -0600

Hi Vince!

At 12:02 11/17/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Is anyone using the ANC-4? If so do you find it effective? Do you find the
>exterior antenna necessary?
>I have developed  a noise about every 10 Khz on 80, 40 and 30 meters, it
>sounds like a flurescent light noise but none are in the house. Any help or
>comments

I have one, and it works great to eliminate manmade noise.  In fact, the
result can be stunning.  I often have s9+10 hash noise on 40 meters that
makes 40 unusable for me.  The ANC-4 reduces it below atmospheric
levels.  I have the same noise on 80 Meters (at s9+30), and it does *not*
eliminate it; however, I think that's because I don't have enough noise
signal just using the whip (in other words, I need an external antenna on
that band... or else, it really is just too strong)

The provided whip is plenty for all bands 40 and above.  On higher bands, I
lower it to minimum height (about 8 inches).  Tuning is very easy (I've
heard people complain about touchy tuning and the need to go back and forth
between gain and phase control, but I've not found that to be the case)

I use a 12 Volt external gel cell to power it - that may help to keep
power-line induced noise from getting to the balance circuitry.

One negative aspect for CW ops - you'll lose you're wonderful TenTec
QSK.  I'm willing to live with that when it's a choice between listening to
noise and having a QSO HI.

73,
monty  N5FC

Monty Northrup, N5FC