[TenTec] Omni-D signal warbling?

Mike Hyder N4NT@chartertn.net
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:30:21 -0500

Hi, Glenn--

The rebuild kit for the remote ought to differ slightly from that for the
rig.  This is because the PTO kit has a machined groove to accommodate the
dial cord.

Normally the PTO can just be removed, disassembled, cleaned, lubricated,
reassembled and re-installed into the rig.  The usual culprit in the problem
you describe is dried out, gummy grease.  But there are two reasons to get
the proper rebuild kit:
1.  You'll get a nifty sheet telling you the easiest way to remove the PTO
from the rig.
2.  You'll have the parts on hand in case they are needed after you have
gone to the trouble to remove the PTO and take it apart.
-----------------------
There are some "old Indian" tricks in this job:
1.  While you have the front panel off, replace the lamp that shines down on
the dial skirt (get Ten-Tec to send it with the rebuild kit).  It is under
the black escutcheon.  Put a 67 ohm (or thereabouts) resistor in series with
it so it will outlive you.  If you get into adding resistors, put a 27 ohm
one in series with the meter lamp, too.
2.  With a pencil or sharpie pen, label the feed-thru insulators on the side
of the PTO with the colors of wires you will unsolder.  This is much easier
than trying to figure out where they go when you want to hook them back up.
3.  In final assembly, make a loop of dental floss and use it to hook over
the D-spring in the dial skirt to remove the tension so you can easily slide
it back onto the shaft.  The floss will slide out easily when the task is
done.
4.  Have another set of hands available when replacing the rear bearing into
the PTO chassis.  Two hands have never been enough for me.
5.  Get some De-Oxit (by Cramolin) contact cleaner and lubricant.  While you
are into the rig, use the stuff on every switch wafer and every
potentiometer in the thing.  You will thereby extend the life of the rig!
Remember Cramolin's motto:  "The less you use, the better it works."

Good luck,
Mike  -N4NT-