[TenTec] Corsair problem

dslosty@pipeline.com dslosty@pipeline.com
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 17:48:15 -0500

Recently, one of my Corsair (I) rigs lost 160 mtrs and two segments of 10 mtrs.

I found that the band crystal oscillator wasn't operating on those bands.
A quick swap of crystals showed that they weren't at fault.
I ended up pulling the oscillator mixer pcb and found that about half of the
solder connections on the pins of the crystal socket were cracked.

What seems to happen is that the band switch shaft doesn't have quite enough
clearance and rocks the crystals on each side as it turns. As all cystals
are touching
each other, the whole crystal "pack" vibrates a bit as the switch is turned.
I'd guess that that movement cracks the socket solder connections over time.

Anyone else experience this? I'd guess it to be a common problem as these
rigs age.

73,

Doug/WA1TUT