[TenTec] Just Curious

Michael Melland w9wis@charter.net
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:24:46 -0600

I think Yaesu has been mass marketing a great qrp portable rig.  But with
all the hype they are attracting folks that assume 5 watts and under will
perform like 100 watts.  It just ain't so..... don't get me wrong.  I find
myself operating qrp in the field while camping all summer long the past few
years and the old Omni V doesn't get warmed up too often still my favorite
radio).  I love qrp.... find it very challenging.  And yes, I do have a
FT-817 and really like it for what it is.... a portable low power rig.  I
think that the new Ten-Tec rig will be great as well... but aimed more
towards the table top operator like the Elecraft K2.

IMHO I think all the marketing attracts folks that think it would be "cute"
to own such a small rig... but they find out after getting one that qrp
isn't their cup of tea.

Mike, W9WIS