[TenTec] [ten-tec] Scout problems

robert k stephens bstephens1@mindspring.com
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 22:09:36 -0400

Hi

I am having problems with my Scout. The problems include:

1) numbers change up and  down on digital display during transmit (heard as
fm ing)

2) my voice can be heard in speaker during transmit

3) when I push PTT without talking I can hear a rumblimg sound in the speaker

* All the above problems are *intermittent*

I do not have a permanent base station and use the Scout in a variety of
situations (portable,mobile,friend's houses and at my club's base station)

Yes, the problems occur more often under less than perfect conditions (battery
power, not perfectly symmetrical inverted V  dipole, ladder line near
gutter, mobile operation)

However, the intermittent problems have happened under excellent conditions
(hooked up at my club station to beam, [or even dummy load], Astron Power
Supply, properly grounded base station).

I have used other rigs (Kenwood) side by side with the Scout and the
Kenwood worked fine while the Scout had problems.

I sent my rig back to Ten Tec. They bench tested it in the lab. I do not
think that they "field tested" the rig. They said nothing is wrong.

I'm guessing that there is some component that is halfway gone ... on the
bench it tests ok but under stress during operating it malfunctions.

Since the factory says it's ok, I'm thinking of sending it back to them and
trading it for a different new or used model from Ten Tec.

Before I do that I thought I'd ask you folks for suggestions.

Tnx - Bob Stephens, KB1CIW