[TenTec] Scout problems

Mike Hyder N4NT@chartertn.net
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:18:23 -0400

BS

Having "strapped the negative post to the cabinet" on Astron supplies, I
would suggest that Stuart's analysis is in error.  Here's why:  If you
examine the schematic of some Astron supplies, you will note that there is a
common ground but that it is NOT connected to the chassis.  This would
permit the Astron to be used in a laboratory or other installation where you
wanted the negative to be floating, or you had a requirement for 'positive
ground.'

But, if you don't strap the negative post to the cabinet, here's what
happens:  you have your rig grounded and thus the negative post of the
supply is grounded to the rig through the DC power cable.  But the cabinet
of the supply is grounded to the AC line's ground.  This can create ground
loops.  If the rig isn't grounded along with the cabinet of the Astron, then
loads of RF can get into the Astron's negative post and from there straight
into its regulator circuitry.  (Note that in the schematic of the Astron, RF
energy can come into the supply via the negative post and affect the
regulator circuitry.)  Voltage spikes can also enter the negative post and
wipe out the regulator if that post isn't grounded to the cabinet of the
supply.  Our local repeater's Astron supply got wiped out repeatedly until
we grounded its negative post.  We did it by removing the post and removing
the insulators and putting in a good lockwasher to make good contact with
the cabinet.

So take Stuart's advice if you will, but I believe it will cause you
troubles.

73, Mike N4NT@chartertn.net