[TenTec] RX-320 Distortion Solved

Rick Williams ve7asr@telus.net
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:08:35 -0700

About a week ago I mentioned an audio distortion problem I had encountered
on SSB with my RX-320.  Well I checked and probed and analyzed the circuit.
I had the problem narrowed down to the detector or BFO.  The BFO was clean
and I couldn't easily get the scope on the detector diodes!  So before I
started pulling off surface mount diodes I sought help from the gurus at
Ten-Tec!

This morning I spoke with Gary in the service department and he suggested:

   1)  reload the software.  This resulted in no change.

   2)  try another power supply.  (I'd been using the wall-wart that came
with the rig.)  I hooked the RX-320 to my Alinco 32A switching supply and
the SSB distortion disappeared!

   3)  return the rig.  This obviously wasn't needed.

Thanks again to Gary and others on the reflector for their assistance.

I now have my secondary receiver back on line and working with the Omni V.9

73,
Rick
VE7ASR