[TenTec] Omni VI- receive signal

Clark Savage Turner csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 07:58:42 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Vincent A. Santis wrote:

> on cw. I have a condition that is annoying . I have the TT 1.8, 500 and 250
> filters in the 6.3 Mhz slots. What I find is that the receive signal is
> basy and perhaps fuzzy sounding. This occurs whether there is any

Interesting.  This is how I would describe the CW filtering effect for my
Kenwood 440.  I get a very raspy sound.  The bassy part should be
"fixable" by use of the PBT control, does this help?  Move it around to
see what happens.

Now, the effect you describe could also be the result of a bad main filter
in the 9 MHz IF or the BFO insertion frequency being way off.  Does the
rig sound fine in SSB?  If so, your filter is probably not bad there (do
you use a CW filter in the 1st IF...if so, check that one.)  Other than
that, I would check the carrier oscillators (BFO insertion point) - that
will make this happen.  I think there is enough in the manual that you can
check it with a simple frequency counter.  If you were nearby (I'm in CA),
I'd come over and check it for you.  I used to have a good friend in
Winsted :-) .

I recognize your name, what is your old call?

Clark
WA3JPG