[TenTec] fuzzy cw

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@Blomand.Net
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:24:32 -0600

This is digital dither that you are hearing.  An artifact of DSP generated
signals.  Typical of microprocessor time limited  duty cycle demands.  The
microP in the rig is doing lots of things at the same time and it occurs
during a specific time interval driven by the clock.

FYI. --Generate some CW with your computer via the sound card.  Bet you hear
some fuzz on that tone too.  Add a few chores for the computer to do while
generating CW.  The fuzz gets worse.

Now if a rig is designed to have a common clock and a microP for each
function it'd most likely be clean as a crystal rig.  Therefore the RST
should have a 9 for the T.  Otherwise 598 is in order.

73
Bob K4TAX

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Christensen" <paulc@mediaone.net>
To: <TenTec@contesting.com>; <cherry@getnet.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] fuzzy cw

> > I would rather receive well formed Morse code with a
> > little chirp than some of the sloppy stuff I hear.
> > Jim W7ANF
>
> Although there is absolutely no chirp in the transmitted CW signal in
either radio, one does hear a slight "fuzz" in back of what
> would otherwise be a pure sine wave tone.   The effect would be
approximately the same if you were to take a pure sine wave audio
> generator and mix it together with a very low-level pink noise source.
>
> On the receive end, you can hear the residual effect if you auto-notch the
incoming CW note on your receiver.  What remains is the
> pink-noise "fuzz."  Personally, I do not find the effect to be
problematic: the keyed waveform of the Jupiter/Pegasus is the best of
> any radio, including older Ten-Tecs.  Likewise, QSK is very fast and
thump-free...although there's just a slight amount of T/R