[TenTec] Simultaneous Keying Question

Bill Miner wg6h@pacbell.net
Sun, 02 Sep 2001 12:40:06 -0700

Jim,

I have been watching your posts regarding this project and I do have one
caution for you!  If you do not have enough isolation between
transmitting antennas it is possible to get external RF back into the PA
of any of your transmitters and that PA will act as a high level mixer.
One symptom of this could be an increase in SWR.  At VHF/UHF and
microwave frequencies the fix for this is the use a circulator or
directional coupler on the output of the transmitter.  In your case I
believe the easiest method would be to make sure you have plenty of
distance between transmit antennas. This would mean
no antennas on the SAME boom! The most common of the mixing products is
2A+B or 2A-B. As I am sure you will see.... some products will be
outside of the ham bands and may get you into possible trouble  with
some government agency!

I believe a good source for additional information on this subject would
be someone at W1AW since they have lots of experience with multi
transmitters. Talking to W1RFI might be a good place to start.

I hope this is helpful and I hope you are successful with your project.

73,
Bill - K6WLM