[TenTec] Sticky knob rebuild option

David B. Perrin dbp@monad.net
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:17:30 -0400

Hi-
 I have had my share of trouble with the tuning knob on PTO type rigs in
the last few years. It doesn't seem reasonable to me that the parts
actually wear out and need to be replaced.
 Lubrication has worked for me. I use a silicon spray.
 What I do is:
    - Remove the tuning knob and skirt.
    - Spray some of the lubricant into a spay can cover.
    - I have a supply of syringes used by diabetics, I load one with
silicone.
    - Insert the needle through the knob shaft and inject the silicone.
Obviously, be careful not to break off the needle!
    - Reinstall the knob and exercise the shaft, spreading the silicone.

    - Remove the knob and repeat the process.
    - I have found that by extending the number of knob revolutions with
each new load of silicone seems to spread it out over the length of the
shaft. I make sure the tuning is easy for the entire length before
finishing.

 This has kept a shaft turning easily for more than 1.5 years.
 73 de Dave, K1OPQ