[TenTec] Orion RF hardening (was Is Jupiter better...)

Carter Grabarczyk k8vt@ameritech.net
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 21:36:26 -0500

robert k stephens wrote:

> Carter,
> Don't worry -be happy.

Always good advice!!!  :-)

> It is my impression that most Ten Tecs are more susceptable to RF than most
> Japanese rigs. (I don't know why)

I agree...

> This is not really a problem.

I disagree.

My Omni 6+ is very susceptible to RF. Yes, I have 450 ohm ladder line
coming into the shack and yes there are unequal currents flowing in each
leg (i.e., by definition, it's radiating); however, non TT radios work
just fine with the same antenna, same location, same ladder line, same
strong RF field, etc, etc. So, I definitely DO see it as a problem.

For $3300, I'm hoping they can harden the Orion and make it work as good
(RF field wise) as other brands of radios.