[TenTec] what is "quiet"?

N1EU n1eu@yahoo.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 04:03:06 -0800 (PST)

N4LQ wrote:

"While the above is technically correct, there is
still something mysteriously quiet about simple
receivers that make them more pleasant to monitor."

I've certainly experienced what Steve is describing
and yes, it seems to be a bit of an unexplained
mystery.  I do a lot of weak signal dx'ing on 160M
which is often plagued by lots of static crashes.
I've occasionally listened on some simpler single
conversion receivers such as a 75A4 (single conversion
on 160M) or K2.  The same weak signal and static are
present "side-by-side" on the simple receivers and the
modern rigs, yet it seems easier to actually read
(copy) the signal on the simpler receivers.  It's as
if the signal gets "smeared" (mixing products?) in the
modern rigs.  And yes, filter design (group delay?)
might play a role in this.  But it sure seems like
something has been lost in high-end modern rigs,
something that the QST test reports aren't measuring.

73,
Barry  N1EU