[TenTec] what is "quiet"?

n4lq@iglou.com n4lq@iglou.com
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:02:42 -0500

Tim
Let me ask this:
If you disconnect the antenna from the Pro II, turn off the noise
reduction features and crank up the volume, what do you hear? A loud
rushing noise or just a soft hiss?
If I do this on my QRP rigs, I hear virtually nothing but a little audio
amp hiss. On the Kenwoods, I hear a mighty roar almost like band noise.
Turning of the pre amp helps but not much. On the Omni C, I hear almost
nothing, just a little IF noise. On direct conversion receivers I hear
nothing.

Listening to a direct conversion receiver is like having your brain
directly connected to an isotropic antenna.

N4LQ